Ways Catholic parents can develop awareness of poverty, teach generosity

If I had a buck for every time I heard someone say "kids today are so insensitive and selfish," I'd be rich. If kids lack sensitivity, it's because we parents have failed to teach empathy. As Catholic Christians, we're called to living in solidarity with the poor. The Bible is full of references to living simply. The saints lived and preached gospel poverty. Yet looking at our church parking lots and pews, I don't see much poverty. I see a lot of wealth and excess. I don't mean to cant, but we're called to renounce worldliness. Kids living in luxury have no connection with the world church unless we teach them. Here are ways to raise  awareness of world poverty, develop empathy with the sufferings of the poor and teach generosity. Student volunteer work and missionary outreach may count toward school-required service credit hours, too.  Ways parents can develop awareness of poverty, teach generosity

Followers

Catholic Relief Services

Catholic Relief Services
Ways to promote social justice in the world church

Total Pageviews